Widgets: Openmoko/Chumby transproject?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 16:54:37 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 15:23, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Florent THIERY writes:
> >> If you're about Macromedia Flash (er, now Adobe), isn't it closed
> >> source?
> >
> >The neo has a closed source real time OS running the GSM part...
>
> OS?  It's been said pretty consistently that it's a user-mode daemon.
> Still one more piece of closed source software than I like to see, but
> not an OS.

The GPS has a closed user-mode daemon.

The GSM module has closed firmware - it's running a closed source real-time OS
internally. This is no different to the closed firmware for CSR bluetooth
chips or conexant usb adsl modems, and exactly the same as Cardbus GSM
adapters. They wouldn't get regulatory approval without it. All of these can
be accessed by open software though.