Some light ahead...

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Apr 25 21:53:47 CEST 2007

Duncan Hudson wrote:
> Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
>> Finally, we've already begun moving production into one of our factories
>> in mainland China. There are two runs scheduled now: May 10th and May
>> 20th. We're going to take those runs a bit slow just to make sure the
>> quality is high. And then starting in June, things can run full speed.
> I'm as anxious as anyone to get my hands on one of these, but it just
> concerns me that the date has slipped again.  With each slip the
> competition gets closer and closer.  Openmoko has been compared,
> favorably, by many sources to the iPhone - and it was originally
> scheduled to ship months before that device.  Now we're talking about
> shipping after the iPhone, so the bar that you have to clear will have
> been raised considerably.

1) the Openmoko-for-customers is slated for 9/11/07, so it was going to
ship after the "Q207" date for the iPhone in any case.

2) the iPhone may slip too.

Its all the rumor in the Apple world these days.  We already know that
Apple has slipped its next OS release (10.5) because it put some large
number of its OS folks on the iPhone project, in order to get it out the
door.

Most of us understand that adding people to a slipping project typically
makes it slip harder.

3) the iPhone is being sold (in the US) through AT&T/Cingular's
channels, which are deep and wide.  Getting a "consumer" to the iPhone
will be easy.  Getting that same individual to an OpenMoko phone will be
much more difficult.

4) Relax... you're not going to be able to add features to an iPhone.