Anti Iphone (Was Re: Some light ahead...)

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Apr 30 21:04:34 CEST 2007

Steven ** wrote:
> On 4/29/07, Martin Lefkowitz <lefko at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I have an HTC wizard right now branded as cingular that I am running
>> skype on.  If I remember correctly I downloaded the software off the
>> skype site for this handset.  Does this mean it's approved or not
>> approved?
>
> With your setup, it's a gray area.  With the iPhone, it is presented
> as anything not approved is inherently banned.  You were able to get
> the app because that phone is at least slightly open.  The press on
> the iPhone makes it seem completely closed.

Its not 'the press', its Steve Jobs himself.

>> Wouldn't it be a problem for the FTC if Cingular didn't approve software
>> like this because it wouldn't be fair and equitable for that frequency?
>> They would need to have some sort of test for certification right?  Or,
>> is this the difference between licensed and unlicensed
>
> 802.11b/g/etc. uses 2.4 GHz unlicensed spectrum.  No FTC beyond the
> power limits that would be enforced on the manufacturer of the chip.
> It's the wifi chip that needs FTC approval, not the software.

You're wrong, on several counts.

1) The FTC is the Federal Trade Commission, responsible for things like
dealing with anti-competitive behavior.  The FCC (Federal Communications
Commission) is responsible for various other things, including 'spectrum
regulation'.

2) "power limits" are not the only thing (or even the most important
thing) that you need to worry about with a compliant ISM (Part 15.247)
WLAN device.  Far **MORE** important is out of band emisisons,
especially operation in the 'restricted bands' just outside the 2.4GHz
spectrum.

3) The FCC doesn't approve 'chips', the manufacturer of the design
obtains certification.  Note:  the *whole* design is tested, and in many
instances, this **includes** the software.  It certainly includes the
entire radio section, from baseband through, and including the antenna.