[UI/Graphics] Ever heard of graff ?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:31:03 CEST 2007

On 7/31/07, Jay Vaughan <jay at w1xer.de> wrote:
> > it's not about the conversion itself, but the data.
> >

> libcairo + librsvg == data galore.

sure, evas can use svg import too, but it just rasterize once at load time.

> > As for counting cairo out, sure not. But use it for specific scope.
> >

> Indeed, its a standard in my GUI toolkit at this point .. soon as I
> get a neo in my hands, I'll have a go at getting it rendering a small
> SVG suite as soon as I can ..

don't expect too much.

> >    However, even UIs being scalable, they're basically described by
> > pixmaps. It's insane to calculate a gradient on real time just to get
> > a smooth blend: using a gradient pixmap and maybe using (even smooth)
> > scaling would look as good, but use less CPU. Same for rounded
> > corners, you can have a path to describe it, but a smart blit
> > algorithm would be as fast.
> >

> Its nicer to render vectors to your destination buffer/pix format
> than do pixel processing from a bitmap file format, imho.

define "nicer". Is that better graphics? Faster?

> The extra
> boot-up time (to render SVG as needed) is a matter of taste, of
> course, but I never count out the idea of a display-list render loop
> until I've tried running it on targetted hardware ..

most libs/apps render SVG to bitmaps and then use it, having to keep
the cache to save render time. In other words: it won't change that
much during runtime, but will add boot up as you said, but I disagree
it's a matter of taste.

> > BTW, evas have a cairo backend, so you can mix both if required. Other
> > backends, like xrender, opengl, fb and directfb are supported as well.
>
> Be nice to do the SDL dance too, because there are some fantastic SDL
> apps in the world ..

SDL is also supported as a backend, but I really see not much point
there, as SDL is a great abstraction layer atop of framebuffers (x,
fb, directfb, gdi, ...), not that fast since Evas already do that (one
step less).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com