700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Mischa Beitz mischa at beitz.org
Wed Aug 1 18:17:46 CEST 2007

I'll second the "disappointed" verdict. But, then again, were we
really expecting Commissioners Tate, McDowell and Martin to see the
light and pursue the public interest instead of incumbent
telco/cableco interests? Really?? The "compromise" struck will likely,
as most FCC orders tend to, be litigated beyond recognition and
ultimately maintain the status quo; i.e. domination by a small group
of incumbents as deregulation proponents assure us all the while that
anti-trust will protect us. I must admit, I was looking for a
potential alternative broadband possibility and not with openmoko as
much in mind.

You'd think this would be a real win for openmoko . . . ha ha ha,
whoah, let me catch my breath . . . let's wait and see the specific
language of the order and then see what people think.

On 8/1/07, Kyle Bassett <kylebassett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am disappointed.  I wanted the FCC to support "open networks" and "open
> services" as well.  I really hope Google wins this thing...for the sake of
> projects like ours.
>
> In today's society, we are at the mercy of Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. in
> terms what we are required to pay for mobile phone and internet access.  I
> am not a fan of regulation myself (the reason I support open source
> products) but by providing those 4 open requirements, I think it would
> really help to cut down on some of these monopolies.
>
> Honestly, I feel it's ridiculous that this "utility" is not better managed.
> So many great innovations would come from having an open mobile network
> (that does not have a primary objective of making money).
>

> -Kyle
>

> On 8/1/07, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
> >

> > The most important meeting probably globally regarding the future of
> wireless communications happened yesterday.
> >
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/700-mhz-spectrum-auction.html
> >
> > Any thoughts in the OpenMoko community?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Dean Collins