700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Mark markitect at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:23:29 CEST 2007

I'm pretty indifferent the the entire thing, and here is why:
1.  It's the FCC no surprises they like big business, and the ruling
only makes any difference in one country.

2.  Cell phones won't magically change to a 700Mhz band, it could all
be bought up by crab people for all we know.

3.  If all the rules were passed the frequencies would have less
value.  Radio towers are expensive and you cannot charge people for
them.  Consumer electronics are cheap(to make) and people will pay for
them.  If a company isn't guaranteed profits from CE, then they have
less real incentive to put up towers.  (they still have service
charges).

4.  Nobody really restricts devices anyway they just use retail power
to push their phones. So point 3 because mostly irrelevant either way.

In an ideal situation this would create many new services with
innovative new devices, but in practice I wouldn't bet on it.  But I'm
not sure that it would actually work.  The only real benefit is to
content suppliers or advertisers for said content supplier.  Imagine a
cheap services with the latest devices and a Google add bar on every
page (im pretty sure thats what Google wants).  Time will tell if this
really makes any difference at all.

Just my opinion, but its pretty flame retardants.