700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Thu Aug 2 14:11:33 CEST 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Ian Stirling <OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com>
> writes:
>
>>Umm.
>>The 700MHz spectrum would about cope with one 802.11g equivalent
>>data-rate channel.
>

> The whole analog TV allocation that they are reallocating is a bit
> more than one 22Mhz WIFI channel.  Each 4 adjacent TV channels could
> support 1 WIFI channel.
>

>>And exactly what do you think would happen if this was free access,
>>and the signals go for longer distances?
>

> Well for one we'd start seeing city-wide wifi that actually worked
> through current obstructions.  You could then support quite a bit if
> VOIP traffic (or SMS) over that network.

So you missed the earlier comment from someone who has problems with
wifi working reliably due to overloading?

Consider that if current wifi went through obstructions, and had a 4
fold range improvement that you get 16 times the interfering stations.

You cannot expect performance similar to managed networks on unmanaged
networks.

In ethernet terms - what happens if you put 100 users all on a shared
10-base-2 segment, and connect the end to the internet?

Yes, they all have 100kbits/second average bandwidth.
Yes, if they only all download at some 50kbits/second, then it will all
work.
However, it only takes two users streaming files between themselves to
kill connectivity for everyone else.