700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Thu Aug 2 18:50:23 CEST 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Ian Stirling <OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com>
> writes:
>
>>So you missed the earlier comment from someone who has problems with
>>wifi working reliably due to overloading?
>

> It would have been hard for me to miss it since I was the one that
> made it. ;-)
Oh :)

>>However, it only takes two users streaming files between themselves to
>>kill connectivity for everyone else.
>

> There is nothing preventing fair-share routing/filtering.  This is
> actually a common filter that both Linux and BSD kernels have
> available in their IP filtering subsystems.  In fact, there is a lot
> of research on various different "fairness" algorithms.  This is one
> of the things that open-source will almost certainly do better since
> there are tons of competing ideas and tons of research papers.

Certainly.
Also.
There is nothing stopping any users choosing to utterly ignore the
fair-share algorithms.
If enough users - and it takes a small proportion - do, then the whole
thing collapses.
The other problem is that fair share algorithms can only work out to the
distance to which the users can recieve individual signals.
However, the signals from distant stations still interfere, and increase
the channel noise level, reducing range.
With planned networks, this is all managed.
With unplanned networks, it could in principle auto-configure, but only
if everyone implements the same fairness protocol.