Import Duty - I have refused my delivery.

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at
Fri Aug 3 14:12:20 CEST 2007

Well, you chose to live in the wrong country (or the wrong continent). You
should know what expects you if YOU IMPORT a device.
This is not the fault of OpenMoko (Inc.).
Also there is no duty on computing devices and mobile phones in the EU - so
I guess you are wrong.
GBP60 sounds like VAT (15.5% in UK), seems you have ordered the basic
device, so this IS VAT, no duty!
VAT is levied by your country, not by FIC/OpenMoko and if you chose to
import you WILL have to pay VAT every time - and the one you import from
doesn't have to find out for you how much it is (as it is charged by the
customs, not by the company).