Import Duty - I have refused my delivery.

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Aug 3 14:45:06 CEST 2007

Am 03.08.2007 um 08:20 schrieb <David.Prior at generaldynamics.uk.com>:

> Actually, speaking as someone who imports electronic components and
> peripherals for prototype systems from the US all the time, I do
> know what to expect when I import.
>
> Importation of computer devices and peripherals to the EU is indeed
> both VAT and import duty exempt - it appears that the description
> of the goods, compounded with the value

For Germany, I know that there is no import duty as well.  But I have
never heard that there is no VAT added (at least initially) and I
assume that VAT rules are now harmonized in the EU.

But as a commercial buyer, you can then deduct that from incoming VAT
payments and get it back. So, effectively you don't pay it finaly,
but initially. So, it is sort of a credit to the fiscal authorities.

> statement, has led to this issue. It is indeed OpenMoko's error in
> not understanding the rules and I hold them responsible for not
> disclosing that fact.

What should they have written on the value statement?

>  When I can import USD$50,000 prototypes for computer peripheral
> units without paying VAT and without paying import duty, I expect
> to be able to do the same for a USD$450 prototype.

I am really interested how you import into the EU without paying VAT
(initially).