Import Duty - I have refused my delivery.

Franco Austin franco at bikeza.co.za
Fri Aug 3 15:07:32 CEST 2007

> David.Prior at generaldynamics.uk.com wrote:
>
>> Just thought you all might like to know that OpenMoko shipments are
>> attracting import duty in the United Kingdom.
>>
>> Despite paying USD104.99 for 'expedited' shipping, my order arrived with
>> a demand for GBP57.19 in import duty. This should either be factored
>> into the shipping charge or, as these devices are technically 'computer
>> peripherals', described as 'computer peripherals' in order that they do
>> not attract import duty.
>>
>> I have REFUSED my delivery and it is being returned to the depot and,
>> presumably, will be returned to sender.
>>
>> I either want a new shipment that does not attract import duty *or* I
>> want a full refund.
>>
>> I know these are developer releases but I would have hoped that OpenMoko
>> would have sorted out the international shipping issues properly.
>>

>> I'm annoyed!
>>
>> David.

Hi David,

Pity you refused, I am prepared to pay you the 570 US Dollars it would
have costed you to have a NEO1973, actually I would have been prepared
to make it a even 600, what I do
not understand is that you spend 500 odd dollar on a device then refuse
to pay a potential 100 odd dollars more on duties /vat / government
charges, why not take delivery and then try and sort out the issues with
FICC...

Oh well hopefully it get's back to Taiwan before middle August and
someone else get's it..

Kind Regards

Franco