Instant Messaging + Address Book: presence field?

Adam Nemeth aadaam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:44:14 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I was thinking if presence (online, offline, away, etc) could be into
the address book - as a part of libmokopim. I'd think of Jabber
(and/or SIP probably), since they're multi-resource. What would this
mean?

I need an information quickly from my workmates:
- Open the AddressBook
- Navigate to "Workmates" group
- See that John is online (with status: at work), while Jack is busy
- Normally I'd call Jack, but it seems that John is near computer, so
he could answer my question, I call him

I'm bored, want to get somewhere
- Open the addressbook, navigate to "Friends"
- See that Juli is "Free to chat" (with status: bored)
- I ask her (through IM or by call) if she wants to go out somewhere with me
- She agrees
- Marry 2 years after ;-)

I'm at a party which tends to be good
- Open addressbook, navigate to "Friends"
- Broadcast a message to everyone who's online "Get here fast!"
- The party will be even better in half an hour with them :)

For platform independency, sparing money:
- I'm on WiFi, and I have to call Jack
- He's online @ google talk
- I call him through Jingle (Jabber-VoIP) instead of GSM- FREE!

(Same goes to SMS)

For application developers - in case it would be XMPP (so: extensible:)
- I'm bored
- Let's play a game
- Not alone :/
- Let's see who's online!
- Juli is online
- Ask her if we could play chess / civilization / anything (jabber
fits better for turn based games, but it could be used for realtime
too)
- Play through XMPP: She's on the desktop, I'm on my phone

How to use multi-resource feature:
- I'm at home, I'm online @ google talk both with my Neo and my
desktop computer simultaneously
- With privacy lists feature ("semi-invisibility"), Juli could see if
I'm online @ the phone (remember she became my gf at point 2?:), but
John only sees when I'm online @ the desktop (I don't like to work all
the time)
- I get my messages to my computer (easier to type)
- They see each other through bluetooth
- I have to run, just get up my Neo, and hurry out to the street
- Computer senses that Neo is out of bt range-> resource priority goes
down, computer goes away
- I still get my messages for the Neo (only from Juli of course)

Send-a-picture:
- I'm at somewhere, which is nice
- Take a photo
- Set it as my avatar with one click
- or Send to somebody through IM
- Endless possiblities with WiFi (faster than Bluetooth!)

I'm not a Moko expert (although I hope I could get my hands on one
soon - a research center asked for one), but I know XMPP well (SIP...
not as well :/ ), and there are plenty of libraries out of there for
such, even for embedded devices. I think that integrated presence
would be a killer feature for Neo / OpenMoko.

What do you think?

--
Aadaam <aadaam at gmail.com>