700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Frank de Lange frank at unternet.org
Thu Aug 2 11:17:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:53:52AM +0100, Giles Jones wrote:
> I'd say we're also all been taken for a ride due to the costs of the
> licences. In the UK the operators paid many billions for licences,
> this is why SMS messages (which could be free) are still 12-10p each
> even though it's 160 characters a piece.

True, the governments of the 'free' world are reaping in profits from
divvying out common resources to a few fortuned corps. But... do you
really think that SMS would be free if not for those spectrum licenses?
Given that they (until recently in any case) can charge whatever they
want I have no doubt that SMS (etc.) is priced for maximum profit and nothing
else.

If that spectrum were less expensive or free they would just have better
figures in the books while still charging for SMS.

Cheers//Frnak
--
  ## o o\    /     Frank de Lange     \