What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 15:06:29 CEST 2007

Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com> wrote :

> Ok, good points for sure. But similar points have not stopped an
> incremental adoption of emule.

Yes, but on a mobile device?

> For the legal aspect, since our representatives have demonstrated
> that they care about consumers' interests less than zero, I hope in
> a movement starting from the base.

Simple fact is if you produce an open mobile and start breaking laws with it then its days are numbered.

> Well, then it IS a matter of hardware openness too.

Partly, but the chips are often built around a protocol. So if you are changing the protocol then you can't use a device that implements a protocol in hardware.

> Is this a existing limitation also for GPRS or UMTS?

Limitation of the silicon. It's like trying to use a sound chip for graphics, or a dial up model for ADSL.

---
G O Jones