What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 6 17:02:05 CEST 2007

On ma, 2007-08-06 at 14:50 +0200, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> > What you can't do is use the GSM frequencies for this kind of thing,
> > first because you don't have access to the GSM chip firmware, ...
>
> Well, then it IS a matter of hardware openness too.

The point is that you must be a 1) criminal 2) sociopath to even want to
do this thing with the GSM radio in particular, even if you could. The
wifi on GTA02 on the other hand will be capable of this sort of thing
(legally and ethically), therefore not really a hardware openness issue,
IMAO. Just that there would still be the practical problems indicated by
me and others.

Don't get me wrong though, the Neo is not optimally open, and there are
also non-evil things that the GSM firmware being closed restricts us
from doing. I don't particularly like it, but it's a reality of today.
We'll just have to mold where the future takes us, and the Moko.

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki