Neo 1973 is sold out...

Daniel Robinson dgrobinson at dgrobinson.com
Mon Aug 6 19:30:36 CEST 2007

One of the things that I have found unpleasant about the Internet is the
tendency for many people to think that every thought they have has value and
other people need to know about it. Forum, mail lists, whatever, people have
to throw it out there.  It has been this way since USENET days.  This list
is no different than the other lists I'm on.

Basically, here are the facts:

1) the people who have been leading OpenMoko don't have retail experience.
They have not run a site and distribution organization.  I have wished that
they had people on board to handle this, but it wasn't that way.  They are
hacker nerds.  Would any of you people complaining about this really want to
deal with charging credit cards and processing orders for 8 or more hours a
day, day after day?

I didn't think so.

2) They didn't anticipate the demand for phones.  I'm  willing to bet that
FIC was very skeptical about this and they had a hard time getting approval
for the production run that was actually made.  Hey, people want a
cellphone/media player experience that doesn't suck.  Who knew?

3) A word I learned when I was a soldier: kwitcherbitchin.

--Dan