R-UIM Support

John Seghers jseghers at cequint.com
Tue Aug 7 06:37:34 CEST 2007

While RUIM is the equivalent in CDMA-land to the SIM for GSM phones, the Neo
would need a CDMA radio section to use it.  It is not enough to slide an
RUIM card in to a GSM phone.

While it might be possible to design a CDMA-based Neo, it would, I'm sure,
be a case of one or the other.  You wouldn't be able to swap the SIM with an
RUIM and have it work on the other network.

Furthermore, I've never actually seen a CDMA phone that uses RUIM.  BREW
apparently supports it, but I don't know what phones use them.

- John

Adam Burch wrote:
What I was wondering was could the Neo be designed for later releases to use
a R-UIM card that is CDMA compatible as well as a GSM SIM card?  There are
already phones that are usable on CDMA and GSM networks sold in the US that
do not use R-UIM cards and from what I've read the R-UIM and SIM cards use
the same slot.