2007.2 - questions

pauric pauric at pauric.net
Mon Aug 6 14:34:02 CEST 2007

Andy "PS - That reminds me... am I the only one who thinks you should be
able to
select "power off" from the battery status icon?"

Yes and no.  From a icon/workflow perspective it would seem sensible to
place options for stand-by/off/status etc.  However, from a usability
perspective if you have to hit a physical button to power-on then the user's
mental map of that functionality will be linked to the button... so there's
little point in adding complexity to the interface if user's are likely to

The question regarding adding anything to the UI of a small form factor
display is: Is it absolutely necessary and not available anywhere else?
So, as a ui designer, I would advise on simplicity and no option list under
the battery icon.  Its a good idea but doesnt make it past the usability
questions.

regards - pauric