2007.2 - questions

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:21:11 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, pauric <pauric at pauric.net> wrote:
> Andy "PS - That reminds me... am I the only one who thinks you should be
> able to
> select "power off" from the battery status icon?"
>
> Yes and no.  From a icon/workflow perspective it would seem sensible to
> place options for stand-by/off/status etc.  However, from a usability
> perspective if you have to hit a physical button to power-on then the user's
> mental map of that functionality will be linked to the button... so there's
> little point in adding complexity to the interface if user's are likely to

yes and no, but slightly differently:

if the user regards the neo/openmoko as a 'computer', then a software
power off icon/button/option is expected, to match how a desktop
running windows/linux/macos works (and these have hardware power-on
buttons, too).

if the user regards it as a phone, then a hardware button is needed.
smartphones/pdas blur the lines between computer and phone, so we
probably need both.