What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:34:34 CEST 2007

On 8/8/07, Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> They probably don't, you just don't have a clue what they're actually
> talking about (for example, not talking about power).
>
> Anyway, let me try to be helpful here in giving you some personal
> insight about yourself: You obviously lack all necessary technical
> background to understand the issues properly at all. Your obvious hatred
> of telcos doesn't exactly help, since it apparently completely blinds
> you to rational arguments why schemes such as the one you're proposing
> are extremely difficult to scale in sane ways, let alone with limited
> power. And no, dismissing them as telco FUD without any grounds isn't a
> proper argument.
>
> Thank you, have a nice day, and let's get back to this when you
> understand what a radio is and how it's different from a p2p network,
> shall we? HTH and cheers.

hey, take it easy

i for one was interested in what luca had to say, the discussion that
evolved, and i've learned something because of it

your attitude is really helping. he might not know anything (i doubt
it, he appears to have done some research), but dismissing his input
because of it is short-sighted. a new pair of eyes with a different
slant can often be useful.

this list is not about personal improvement, it's about a phone and an
OS. keep it to that

and anyway, the telcos are bastards, are screwing us and many would
agree with luca's sentiments. i found out last week that i get charged
NZ$10/MB (about $8US) for GPRS data - that's not justified, and isn't
customer oriented, it's money-grabbing