mailing list management

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:48:01 CEST 2007

Dean Collins wrote:
> I do run filtering in Outlook - but I run it on subject - less processor intensive.

How is filtering on subject less processor intensive than using mailing
list headers?

> And thanks Casey - I also subscribe to about 5 or 6 other lists and they all have subject prefixes as well (and much larger more frequent lists than openmoko)

I also subscribe to a large number of other lists and only 2 of the 20
or so have subject prefixes (one of them is the openmoko announce list).

> It's a little thing but it's silly not to get this fixed sooner rather than later - especially as in the very near time frame I imagine that FIC will need to have a number of different lists (newbies, experts, apps, developers, commercial) etc

I disagree that there is anything to be "fixed". Munging the subject
line or reply to fields would be breaking things rather than fixing
them. There are a number of ways to distinguish mailing list messages
from each other without munging the subject line.

I don't want to start a holy war on this as I've seen many in the past.
However, I've yet to see a convincing argument that justifies the use of
subject munging and numerous convincing arguments that it is a bad thing
a prone to breaking. If it is the will of the community, I'll deal with it.

-casey