Fwd: mailing list management

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Aug 15 07:17:48 CEST 2007

Mike Hodson wrote:
> Why not reply to all? Because im rather sure I don't want to reply to
> the author twice (as he apparently is on the list) and I don't want to
> reply to anyone else the author sent the mail to.  There appears to be
> no other way to use this client than simply 1 or all, not simply
> 'list'.

I personally prefer that people reply to me on and off list - that means
that when people have something to say to *me* (which they denote by
leaving me in the To: list) as well as the list, as opposed to just
talking to the list (which they denote by just having the list as the
only recipient), then that is highlighted to me by ending up in my INBOX
rather than in the lower priority folder where my mailing list traffic
goes.  Hence I see it immediately, rather than at the time when I batch
read and respond to list traffic.

(In this case I have purposefully taken Mike off the To: list from my
Reply-All, because this comment is directed to the list only, not to him
personally and the list - I have no reason to get into an argument with
him about what he wants to do, I'm just giving an alternate viewpoint to
the list about what someone else might want to do).

-- Rod