usb0 ifup/down requirement.

Brian Brunswick brian at ithil.org
Wed Aug 15 16:48:19 CEST 2007

On 15/08/07, Emre Turkay <emreturkay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Although I have "auto" in the interfaces file for usb0, every time I
> disconnect/reconnect or turn on/off the device I need to type
> ifdown usb0
> ifup usb0
> for neo to connect to the device. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> emre

If you are using ubuntu fiesty, there's a bug where it fails to run ifdown
when the usb is unplugged.
This means it only works the first time after the system is booted.

Did I forget to put that on the wiki? I submitted a ubuntu bug report for
it. (package ifupdown)

/etc/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown needs patching...
# This file causes network devices to be brought up or down as a result
# of hardware being added or removed, including that which isn't ordinarily
# removable.
# See udev(7) for syntax.

SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", GOTO="net_start"
GOTO="net_end"

LABEL="net_start"

# Bring devices up and down only if they're marked auto.
# Use start-stop-daemon so we don't wait on dhcp
ACTION=="add",          RUN+="/sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --background
--pidfile /var/run/network/bogus --startas /sbin/ifup -- --allow auto
$env{INTERFACE}"

LABEL="net_end"

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="remove",
RUN+="/sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --background --pidfile
/var/run/network/bogus --startas /sbin/ifdown -- --allow auto
$env{INTERFACE}"

--
Brian_Brunswick____brian at ithil.org____Wit____Disclaimer____!Shortsig_rules!