T-Mobile Hotspot at Home

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 17 09:49:54 CEST 2007

to, 2007-08-16 kello 23:09 -0400, Richard Boehme kirjoitti:
> Does anyone know how we can get the GTA02 onto this program? It seems
> like we would be a natural fit, as GTA02 has Wi-Fi. Can any one just
> contact T-Mobile about it and apply for developer status and say that
> we want to be a part of the Hotsopt at Home program?

There was someone interested in doing that on the #openmoko channel
once, and I believe he found out that handover to/from wifi would
require access to protocols that the GSM chip doesn't (at least
documentedly) provide. One of those things for which you'd want the GSM
firmware source...

Apparently you'd still need something like a SIP provider that would
allow you to route calls to a GSM number if you want to be transparently
reachable via both wifi and GSM. None of this fanciness required, of
course, for simply having your calls initiate via wifi when available,
but then you'll lose the call if you wonder out of range. I believe I
saw someone starting work on that on #openmoko.

Disclaimer: I'm relaying this information from memory, and don't have
personal experience or knowledge of the GSM side of this matter.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>