T-Mobile Hotspot at Home

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:47:13 CEST 2007

On 8/16/07, Richard Boehme <rboehme at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how we can get the GTA02 onto this program? It seems
> like we would be a natural fit, as GTA02 has Wi-Fi. Can any one just
> contact T-Mobile about it and apply for developer status and say that
> we want to be a part of the Hotsopt at Home program?

This service requires a UMA/GAN capable phone; I do not believe the TI
chipset used by the Neo has this ability.   I know more people are
probably going to jump on the wifi calling bit, but UMA is decidedly a
network-provided service.

Whereas wifi calling can be made anywhere with wifi using any SIP
provider (of course, the unknown quality of service "anywhere" not
withstanding), actually handing over from GSM to UMA isnt going to
happen unless the GSM modem and device software both support it / your
operator enables the feature on your account.  The alternatives
(hosted asterisk providers and the like, doing PBX stuff for you) are
out there, but none directly interacting with your cell number.

My plan: on my hosted virtual private server (a Xen instance on an
8-core opteron somewhere) I will be setting up asterisk for myself,
integrating into it a menu that prompts for voicemail, ring me cos its
an emergency, or whatnot, and then based on time of day / call blast
lists, it will try and find me.  This I plan to use before I get my
moko.  There should be some way while I'm talking to hit say, #, and
get a menu to 'transfer to home/ transfer to #' at which point i could
hit that, and hang up my cell; my landline will be ringing soon with
the call. With the moko, I am not sure what would be better; either
using a SIP client on the moko to link with my 1 asterisk server, or a
second asterisk instance on the moko itself, linking with the main
asterisk server, and also being used for GSM calls.  (I believe this
is doable at some point, linking an onboard asterisk process with the
gsm audio/signaling, stop me if im wrong!)

Heres a few good reads:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/06/27/t-mobile-goes-national-with-hotspot-home-wifi-calling/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network
I have yet to read much on Asterisk; that will be a weekend project here soon :)

Mike