T-Mobile Hotspot at Home

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 07:14:54 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07, Richard Boehme <rboehme at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm.... is there any way to use the t-Mobile at home service when in
> WiFi range if I don't care about disconnecting when I go out of WiFi
> range? The Asterix route seems very complex.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

At this point its hard to say, however I would be willing to bet against it.

My understanding of reading about the UMA standard, is that the UMA
box your carrier lets you connect to your broadband connection
effectively becomes a GSM base station, except that it uses tcp/ip
networking to reach your carrier rather than private networks. It
talks to the network as if it were simply another cell site that you
are going in/out of.  Therefore, the signaling involved would somehow
need to take this into account.  This could prove to be either very
hard, or if something else is needed, perhaps a coordinated GSM/UMA
response, it may be impossible with the exact hardware that was
chosen.

I'm also not certain that tmobile would allow you to subscribe to the
service without having one of their preapproved phones.

In the coming months, this among many other questions is sure to be
answered definitively.

Regards,

Mike