Forum? (Was Re: Neo Sound and USB Questions)

Steven ** montgoss+openmokocommunity at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:06:58 CEST 2007

On 8/21/07, Harald Welte <laforge at openmoko.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:19:57AM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> Forums are for people who don't understand the technology of properly
> dealing with e-mails.   Of what use is something that's only available
> online?  Of no use at all.  Try keeping a local copy of a forum on your
> laptop.  Why should openmoko be any different?

I understand your computer usage requires you to work offline.  But there
are many in the world, such as myself, that are never on a computer that
isn't online.  To dismiss a whole realm of applications because they are
web-based is scary.  A majority of my activities are on websites with apps
that would not work without the internet.  They are very useful *because*
they are online!

If you consider yourself a "dumb user", then you probably are not the
> kind of developer crowd  that we are addressing at this moment :(

I believe he meant "ignorant user".  We simply don't know as much as the
core developers know about the Neo.   But we are eager to learn.

In general, the tone of many of the messages regarding forum usage scares
me.  Several people have essentially said "if you don't like our mailing
list, f*&k off".  At best, you're simply dismissive of a whole generation of
users that are more comfortable with forums.  I would like to see this
community welcome new users.  Perhaps there are other folks out here like me
that are new to open-source development.  I've been involved with only two
open-source projects, and one of them was with me as the sole developer.
So, bear with us young ones who are trying to understand this group of
people that despise forums.  For us, a forum is the default way to
communicate with a group of people.

I've accepted that the core developers will only use the mailing list.  But
it disturbs me that you are so willing to dismiss people who prefer forums
as some how not worthy or capable of contributing to the project.  We will
bring new ideas and ways of thinking to this project.  Don't be so quick to
dismiss us!

-Steven