Screenshots

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Wed Aug 22 19:36:50 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 19:49 +0300, Kalle Kärkkäinen wrote:
[...]
> I guess that there should be something extra on the ui. It's pretty
> plain as it is. Maybe there could be animations or some other stuff
> that'd make the phone come to life? Maybe for the menus and toolbars
> or something like in compiz?

Firstly, You have to build a project that works withing the technical
limitations of your hardware. Sure, the original mockups (2007.1) looked
impressive, but there was no way they were going to be implemented
nicely with our hardware and resources.

Secondly, it's only natural that after a while something that was once
new and jazzy will become old and plain. The most exciting thing about
this project is not that it will have a fancy user interface or some
amazing "killer" feature. The most exciting thing about this project is
that the whole phone and platform is based on the principles of Free
Software.

Besides, what's the point of adding animations or "other stuff" if the
most important features don't work in the first place? We're building a
smartphone from scratch here, so let's get our priorities right!

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/