FM Radio

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Thu Aug 23 14:34:43 CEST 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 14:14, Ian Stirling wrote:
> Giles Jones wrote:
> > On 22 Aug 2007, at 22:37, D. Vicario wrote:
> >> To listen for streaming radio I MUST pay for the download, and the
> >> price of data isn't cheap... so, the FM module is the only way, for
> >> me, to listen radio. And I see very much use of it.
> >
> > FM is only worth doing if you can also use the FM circuitry for TMC  to
> > get realtime traffic information.
>
> Umm. No.
> It's a nice add-on.
>
> For many users, it's a complete side-show.
> I want to use it to listen to the news, listen live to music stations
> that I like, and may have competitions, or listen to new reasonable
> quality music, when I have no opportunity to download stuff to my phone.
>
> I have a RDS radio in my car. I've never used it, as I don't live where
> traffic jams are common.

In a phone, yes.
But in a car navigation device, it is a valuable extra source of information.
Navigation software that is able to take trafic jams into account when
calculating it's route provides serious added value for a lot of people. So
in a NEO with GPS i think it is usefull, especially for the people who want a
phone with GPS.

AVee