FM Radio

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 14:38:02 CEST 2007

Ian Stirling <OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com> wrote :

> It's valuable if it's very cheap or free.

But it's another chip on the already large board.

There's a wifi/bluetooth/fm combo chip from Broadcom which could be considered, subject to research into the open-ness of it (historically they've been closed).

FM radios are cheap, I have one the size of an earphone. DAB radios are more useful given the number of extra channels.

There's no end of features you could implement, mobile TV would be another feature now that the EU have standardised on a format.

I suggested TMC simply because we are unlikely to see an open source turn by turn routing system for the GPS in this device, so we could at least have an application which could alert you of potential traffic issues ahead (would be a case of determining if you progressing towards a hotspot and displaying an alert).

---
G O Jones