FM Radio

Giles Jones giles.jones at
Thu Aug 23 17:42:27 CEST 2007

Ian Stirling <OpenMoko at> wrote :

> As to why not carry a seperate radio.
> It's another thing to lose, charge, and get tangled in my pocket.
> It doesn't vibrate to remind me when my favourite show is on.
> It needs batteries charged.
> It can't timeshift programs.
> It can't broadcast sound over bluetooth.
> Calls can't break into radio I'm listening to.
> It can't compress quiet programs to a high average volume.

True, but I'd rather such things were just the icing on the cake. If you're going to add extra chips there are much more important features that the Neo phone needs to be competitive and or best of breed.

Large internal flash storage (4GB plus)
High quality video recording
VOIP (transparent switching from GSM to VOIP)

I can buy a FM radio easily, but I can't buy 3G seperately and any of the above features easily apart from the memory (but having a free slot is very useful).

G O Jones