At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Carlo E. Prelz fluido at fluido.as
Fri Aug 24 18:31:47 CEST 2007

	Subject: Re: At the risk of being flamed : State of software
	Date: ven 24 ago 07 05:53:43 +0200

Quoting wim delvaux (wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com):

> GTK ? GTK is a graphics library on top of which you desperately need a higher
> level of abstraction (e.g. WxWidgets).

I used GTK, either directly from C or from its Ruby interface, so many
times now, without feeling any specific need for a further level of
abstraction. The Ruby interface defines objects for the various GTK
classes, but then it has almost a 1-to-1 correspondence between
function calls and methods. Flexibility is not negative: it offers
more opportunities.

> Comparing with QTopia, if you look at all what has been acchieved with KDE :
> K3B, Amarok etc etc all great apps using a 'non free' but freely available
> high quality library...

I believe you are welcome, even encouraged, to do your own port of
Qtopia for the OpenMoko phone, and distribute it. If you do it, and
you do a good job, many people who buy their phone could follow
appropriate instructions and be able to enjoy a Qtopia interface from
day one. Maybe someone might even provide the phones with Qtopia
pre-installed (I do not know about licensing though).

But OpenMoko developers should have the right to choose the
development tools they prefer. It is they who have a lot at stake in
this project. The worse that can happen to you or me is that we won't
be able to play with a new gizmo. Sean, Mickey, and the rest of the
paid OpenMoko team are defining their future, while they put ideas to
test. Let them work the way they prefer.

Carlo

PS I see that the Greenphone is on sale at $695. Any direct
experience? Is it possible to have OpenMoko running on the Greenphone?

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido at fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe