At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Fri Aug 24 18:45:23 CEST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007 16:59, wim delvaux wrote:
> Perhaps with a different style or something but at least QTopia has been
> around for quite a few years, sporting a nice portfolio of apps, having a
> nice ,portable and powerfull GUI library.
> I know that the software is not fully GPL and FREE but what REALLY is Fully

No such thing as 'not fully' GPL. Either you are GPL compliant or aren't.
According to the Trolltech website:

The Qtopia Open Source Edition is provided under the GNU General Public
License v2.0. This specifies that you may freely use the Qtopia Open Source
Edition for:

    * Development of open source/non-proprietary software that is also
released under the GPL license.
    * Compiling and running GPL software developed by others.
    * Devices built with the Qtopia Open Source Edition may be freely
distributed, provided the source code is supplied along with the device.
Modified versions of the Qtopia Open Source Edition can also be copied, put
on FTP sites and CD-ROMs, etc.

So it is pointless to discuss whether QTopia is non-free (if you do that, you
could start saying Linux is not free since RedHat is selling commercial Linux
licenses). That being said, the OpenMoko team is free to use or make whatever
ui, library or application it wishes. With Open Source you don't have a
single right or wrong choice. The dev team can make their own, they can use
Qtopia, they can fork Qtopia, it's only up to them, you could even have
parallel solutions like you have on the desktop, you can use both Gnome and
KDE on the same hardware and OS.