At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Kalle Kärkkäinen kalle.karkkainen at intstream.fi
Fri Aug 24 20:08:03 CEST 2007

Hi,

This is OpenGL ES stuff what I was (intending to atleast) talking about,
the inherent ability in the core gui to use the new features for devices
like mobile phones. Real interfacing with 3d that far surpasses the
current expectation is something I'm looking for in a phone like this.
That being pricey high tech phone that it is.

Yes, it's REALLY nice that I could be able to hack into it. Totally
exciting prospect, sweet even.

But as the gui stands now, I hope there are plans brewing in FIC to beef
it up before the launch. Call me vain, but the other phones in same
price category are just somewhat much better looking (iPhone, LGPrada,
having a design of their own other than just orange-black...). And there
are some people for whom that kind of things mean a lot. Maybe it should
be a priority to include them too, rather than exclude?

Of course some people might think, that once we get the ball rolling,
the community will get this phone in the air. Personally I don't mind,
apt-getting and fixing the setup is a second nature. But I'd hazard a
guess that it'd be just the thing that would drive people away from
openmoko.

Basically a single question should clear this up. Is GTA02 a ..?
   a) geek phone
   b) community phone

If the answer is b, I guess this sort of things should get some
consideration time also on the community board. It should be nice from
the get-go. The community should be able to help with that.

And since I've heard so many people in here saying 'why dont you do the
feature XX yourself', I've got to comment on it: Empowerment over the
device is a nice thing, only that not everybody has the skills required
or especially the time required to do all those things. Bottom line is
that organizations like Novell, Redhat or Ximian with paid people have
done a great deal of focused work for the benefit of all. Most of the
core features in the phone should come from same kind of businesses
(say, FIC for instance ( I really appreciate your hard efforts )).

This holds true atleast for the first few iterations of the phones,
while the community builds up and the phone starts to shape our culture.

It's great that I can change everything in the phone if need be. Even
better is that I should not need to change anything, maybe if I just
could get more stuff done, Stuff-That-Matters-To-Me. With style, with
ease of use.

We just should not aim too low. We'll hit the nut sacks that way. ;)

--
Kalle.