At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Aug 24 20:13:24 CEST 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Carlo E. Prelz wrote:
> WxWidgets never crossed my path. Qt is out of the question since I
> don't do C++. I tried a handful of times to get familiar with it, and
> was fiercely rejected every time.

That's strange - I have tried a variety of widget libraries,
including Gtk, and the one that I found easiest to work with, by a
wide margine, was Qt 4.   I never tried programming Qt 3, and from
what I've seen of it it looks a lot less straightforward.   So if
that's the one you tried, and you're curious, you might give Qt 4 a
shot.   The best way to learn is to start with someone else's working
code and modify it, so that you get a feel for the system, rather
than trying to start from scratch.

Personally, I think that the 2007.2 UI looks *fantastic*, despite the
color scheme, and I love the flick-scrolling. But I am depressed at
how easily the applications crash.   This is the problem with coding
UIs in C or C++.

Anyway, if you like Qtopia, please don't sit on the sidelines and
kibbitz - try to get it running.   There's absolutely no harm in
people investing effort in trying other stuff.   If you look at how
many people bought one of these phones, and how many people are
actively hacking, you can see that there's a lot of thrashing going
on.   Which is perfectly find - if you thrash enough, sometimes you
get butter.   So go try Qtopia!