At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Sat Aug 25 00:07:30 CEST 2007

Am 24.08.2007 um 21:03 schrieb Lorn Potter:

> Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> I like Qtopie too. Especially considering how well they could
>> handle embedded guis for years.
>> But in reallity. qt and c++ is a limitation. Look how far Opie was
>> evolved during the last years and how god id was from the
>> beginning. But it still was more or less insignificant.
>
> Opie is but a fork of Qtopia. Using Qt and c++ is hardly a
> limitation. Take a look at KDE.

The limitation is that you have to use it. If you like it or not.
Or in other words, you don't code for the project unless you are a QT
nerd.

>> Then look how far Nokia got with theyr maemo gtk modell. Within
>> half a year they had a big community and lots of great programms
>> ported.
>
> Thats more because they had some cool hardware. Meamo is not all
> that free - it contains proprietary parts, which is a consequence
> of using LGPL, which is why Amgstrom does not build flash images
> for these devices.

I'm not talking bout freedom.

I'm talking about easy porting and giving a community the tools they
are used to use. Sure QT is cool, kde is cool and qtopia is cool.
But you limit yourself to the fraction of delopers who care about QT.

Openmoko (and maemo) it is more or less, take one of millions of gtk
programms kick it through the compiler and run it. And if you like it
usable, replce some gtk widgets.

As i said. Give me qtopia on the Neo, i would like it.
But i can certainly see why his was not choosen as default. And i'm
happy with that decision.

Gtk is no bad desicion at all. Even though i agee, qtopia is relly sexy.