At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Paul Eggleton bluelightning at bluelightning.org
Sun Aug 26 01:39:01 CEST 2007

Before I start, I will state that I am absolutely *not* suggesting that
OpenMoko move to Qtopia 4 - I simply wish to respond to some of your points.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> There was "lot" of stuff for old Qtopia versions (1.5->2.2) but none of
> them can be "just built" for Qtopia4 version

No, you're right, they can't. But I would counter that with the fact that you
can't just recompile desktop apps for the phone and expect them to be usable.
I know this is not the point you were making but it is something that is
quite often touted as a reason for using X on handheld devices.

> (and you do not really want to play with Qtopia <4.x - trust me - I
> spent over two years with OPIE hacking).

OK, it's not the best for future development, but some of us are still working
with Opie and it's not all that bad.

> Forget about syncing PIM data to something other
> then Qtopia4 Desktop (if it exists),

That's just not true. Do we have a fully working syncing solution for the PIM
applications we have now in OpenMoko? Is there any reason why an OpenSync
plugin could not be written for a Qtopia 4 based platform?

> forget about many X11 based applications/games (I know that most of them
> needs to be adapted to small screen but many of them can be just used).

About the only full applications that can be "just used" are games, and for
those, if they are SDL based (as many of them are) they will work fine even
without X. It's important not to forget also that many such games will be
problematic on the Neo1973 because there are no buttons to speak of.

> For me LGPL is proper license for such device. It allows to write free
> applications which will use any license (all those hackers which you
> listed) AND it allows to write commercial stuff.

But after you add closed source software, the phone is not totally free
anymore. Don't you see the conflict there?

> We have GPS on device - how many Linux applications you know which can show
> you maps and route you from one place to another? I know few:
>
> - TomTom Navigator (commercial)
> - Garmin something (commercial)
> - Maemo Mapper (can be un-Hildoned, require network connection for routes)

You could make the same argument about entire mobile phone platforms - there
hasn't been a fully open one yet so there never will be? If anyone here
believed that then this project wouldn't have even been started.

Cheers,
Paul