At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 03:07:51 CEST 2007

>> For me LGPL is proper license for such device. It allows to write free
>> applications which will use any license (all those hackers which you
>> listed) AND it allows to write commercial stuff.
>>

> But after you add closed source software, the phone is not totally free
> anymore. Don't you see the conflict there?

Aren't GTK+ and the openmoko libs under the LGPL?  According to the wiki
openmoko supports development of commercial software.  I'm for an open
OS, and I think that's a good place for the GPL.  That way no one
develops a closed source version of openmoko with AT&T specific
binaries, or whatever.  But I'm planning on running skype on my GTA02
one day, so I don't really take the 100% open source position.