Yet another finger keybord (gui mock-up).

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Sun Aug 26 23:17:57 CEST 2007

Josef Wolf skrev:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 06:04:15PM +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
>> Josef Wolf skrev:
>>> [ I warm-up this old thread again... ]

>>> This looks very promising.  I like this idea.  The only issue I see is that
>>> the least used characters (numbers) are the easiest to enter.  IMHO, the
>>> mostly used characters should be accessible without dragging.
>> I think it's a good default as it reuses the users knowledges from t9
>> systems. It's important to be easy to pick up.
>
> It is perfect for the "phone" functions.  But we don't want to stop at
> trivial functions.

The phone function got it's own dialer keypad. But a numeric keypad may
be useful for allot else... and I believe it to be most beginner
friendly... And... I don't really think it's any big difference in
hitting the main function or the secondary functions of a key.

>> But an alternative layout
>> optimised for text input is good, as is a possibility for power users to
>> define there own layout, or even special layout for different
>> programs/tasks.

Sorry for my English... but I think I try to say about the same thing
You did her :-)

>> In 2007.2 the scroll wheel is gone, so the key layout should probably be
>> 5x3 giving the number of functions / key like (the status bar is gone so
>> the bottom keys get less functions):
>>
>> 5 7 7 7 5
>> 5 7 7 7 5
>> 3 4 4 4 3
>
> Ough, I don't really understand... You want up to 7 functions per key?

One only press+release, then press and drag in one of six directions = 1
+ 6 = 7. But the keys on the edge of the screen can't be dragged in off
screen directions giving less 'functions'. As described in:

    http://www.micropp.se/openmoko/

>> Make a total of 80 keys. Alternatively 6x3:
>>
>> 5 7 7 7 7 5
>> 5 7 7 7 7 5
>> 3 4 4 4 4 3
>>
>> Make a total of 98 keys... Think You need a real device to find out what
>> is best.
>
> Too bad they are sold out :-(  No chance to buy one :-((

Well, there will come new ones :-)

>> The main good with this input method is its intuitive and probably
>> reasonable fast. But now I'm thinking more on how to use minimal of
>> screen space and work good one handed without visual attention... and
>> still be reasonable in speed.
>
> Maybe 8 functions per key (instead of 6) would be a benefit?  Only a guess.
> You can't tell unles you actually tried it.

You mean 8 drag directions + just press+relese... 9 functions per key.
Might work. Guess testing on the device is how to find out. But 6x5
keyboard with 8 drag directions give:

6 9 9 9 9 6
6 9 9 9 9 6
4 6 6 6 6 4

A total of 128 'keys'... Good *if* it works :-)

/LaH