Yet another finger keybord (gui mock-up).

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:09:06 CEST 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:35, "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" wrote:
> On 20:15:37 2007-08-26 "Edwin Lock" <edwinlock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  So you have to get used to it every time again? doesn't seem like a
>> very
>>  good idea.
>>  My experience is that people like to get used to things and do them
>>  like the got used to, not change..
>>
>>  - Edwin
>>

> A dynamic input... I like it... But let's put it this way... it
> shouldn't
> be to hard to add an option to either use a dynamic input or a
> pre-defined/custom
> static one. Give the user the final choice. But then that's just me...
> like the user having as much choice as possible.
>
> --
> Andraž "ruskie" Levstik

Ok, I didn't actually mean after each and every keystroke. I was trying
to float the idea. The actual implementation would obviously be up to
some kind of experimentation.

I can't see how removing the unused characters and adding more used
characters could be a bad thing. Granted you let the user decide to
switch and always have the ability to go back to default.. But each user
will have a different vocabulary and thus a different optimization
specifically for them.

as a bad example take someone who always talks in leet speek when
messaging.  That will be a very different layout than someone who does
short hand or abbreviated messaging. If the program could figure out,
say each night or when the user chooses or what not, which letters or
symbols they use most and build an appropriate step heirarchy then you
could optimize the path for fewest drag type operations and more click
operations. Or at least that's how it seems to me.  Then once the
sequences are determined, let the user position them on the grid in a
manner that feels right to them. For each user that might be different.

Anyway, some will like it and some will disable it in favor of the
default or non-assisted but customly defined layout.  Personally, I
would not mind having the least used letters changed out for more used
letters based on my usage patters in a semi automatic way, if I could
anchor my most used letters to positions where they feel comfortable.
--Tim