At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 28 18:13:05 CEST 2007

Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2007 16:39:54 Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
>> No they didn't. But TT employees keep pushing the idea at the very least.
>> This is their good right, but I reserve mine to call them on it ;)
>
> Can you give some references on this (just out of curiosity) ?
>
>> it). I don't think the installed base of Greenphones is ever gonna be big,
>> whereas GTA02 might get a few (tens of?) thousands devices shipped...
>
> The greenphone is never meant to be a mass-market device - it is the
> counterpart of the GTA01, but AFAIK unlike the FIC-OpenMoko connection, TT
> never wanted to be a Phone manufacturer so for them the greenphone is simply
> a tech demonstrator and development platform, not the first stage of an
> end-user device, for which they apparently hope to get commercial interest
> from mobile phone vendors (in which they admittedly haven't been all that
> successful as of yet).

Which raises an interesting opportunity for them: If they want to get
out of the hardware business, they could port Qtopia to the Neo (or
subsequent OpenMoko-ready hardware) and either resell the Neo
pre-programmed on their website, or point people to us.

I guess it depends on how much of a hassle it is for them to be making
hardware, and how important it is for them to have hardware with their
name on it.

Michael