At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Tue Aug 28 18:26:11 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 17:51:23 Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> > > No they didn't. But TT employees keep pushing the idea at the very
> > > least. This is their good right, but I reserve mine to call them on it
> > Can you give some references on this (just out of curiosity) ?
>
> Look around, there's TT employees in this very thread (not overly pushing
> it, but at the very least, TT seems interested in OM)... And occasionally
> some remark spills onto PlanetKDE.

I don't follow PlanetKDE, but here I've seen only Lorn Potter with a
@trolltech address who wasn't like agitating something MUST be done (but I do
agree with him that writing a phone stack is uncomparably easier than doing
the full framework from scratch), and I have not gotten the impression that
his message was a sort of an official TT standpoint which you can call
upon... though he did say an interesting announcement will be made in the
next few feeks, we'll see what that means I guess :) In any case, if there IS
a GPL qtopia + GSM stack for the Neo1973 around the corner, things will get
really interesting in OpenMoko land.

> > an end-user device, for which they apparently hope to get commercial
> > interest from mobile phone vendors (in which they admittedly haven't been
> > all that successful as of yet).
> Exactly, but partly because of a chicken&egg issue which they could perhaps
> tackle with an OpenMoko port of Qtopia...

You mean Neo1973 port of Qtopia ? That is what I don't get here - in my view
OpenMoko as a platform doesn't really have an interest in running qtopia on
the Neo1973 which it should have been a vehicle to spread OpenMoko to the
masses and instead gets to be a more accessible greenphone replacement with
GPS.