need someone to develop this....

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 17:28:23 CET 2007

For a proper answer you'll have to ask a patent lawyer in your jurisdiction.
The rules change from country to country, and are possibly much more nuanced
than a non-lawyer will remember. There's a fine example on Groklaw where a US
patent lawyer explains the various cutoff dates which may or may not apply
when searching for prior art to invalidate a patent depending on the exact
circumstances surrounding the patent. I got the impression that in the US
public disclosure might be interpreted more narrowly than the fairly broad
interpretation I understand it has here in the UK too.

That said, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to guarantee someone can't
patent the idea. The best you can do is maximise the chance of getting the
patent invalidated after the event. I would certainly hope that posting to a
technical mailing list with multiple web archives would be a sufficient
public disclosure with a verifiable date, but with patent systems as broken
as they seem to be I wouldn't bet on it.