A problem with usb networking

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Wed Dec 5 23:05:37 CET 2007

geniere90 at interfree.it wrote:
> I'm able to ping the phone and my laptop, too.
> But I can't connect to the internet: ...

We had two different responses:
1) Mickey concluded it must be resolv.conf;
2) Dr. Schaller concluded the notebook doesn't have
    IP forwarding turned on.

How can we differentiate? ssh into the phone, and ping an OUTSIDE
internet site by NUMERIC IP. e.g,

geniere90 at desktop$ ssh phone
root at fic-gta01:~$ ping 128.100.65.1
PING 128.100.65.1 (128.100.65.1): 56 data bytes

If you get lines like this:

then Mickey is right.

If you get no response, Dr. Schaller is right.

N.B. the IP number is just an example (that happens to work today).
You must use an IP address that you know is up and running; find out by
pinging from your desktop.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, please include the output of
"ifconfig" both on your desktop and on the phone.

 > when I use ipkg update or the web browser, nothing...

"Nothing" is ambiguous. What exact message appears?

Please read this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html