usb network dongle (was Re: dhcp on usb0)

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:58:39 CET 2007

On 07/12/2007, Joe Pfeiffer <joseph at pfeifferfamily.net> wrote:
> But I'd like it to do this automatically when plug the usb cable in,
> and haven't been able to find a way to get that to happen.  I didn't
> have any luck with either
>
> auto usb0
> allow-hotplug usb0
>
> in /etc/network/interfaces
>
> In both cases, I still need to start up the terminal and do an
> ifup usb0...

this is kind of going off at a tangent, but are there any decent usb
network interfaces with linux drivers included in OM? personally, i
would rather connect my neo direct to the router in my house than have
to boot a computer as well, whenever i want to update packages. or are
there other reasons to make this impractical?

yes, i realise there's a power issue, but there are many powered USB
hubs out there. and power over ethernet is also a solution. ditto for
charging the neo

seems a whole lot easier way of connecting as well

cross-posted to community