New To the list

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Dec 7 18:55:59 CET 2007

Al Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 07 December 2007, herve couvelard wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'am new to the list and would like to say hello.
>>
>> We plan to use treo1973 in a global solution computer AllInOne Touch
>> screen (linux of course)  + Nokia N810 + Treo1973. (all with wifi -
>> treo1973 public version is said to be wifi equiped) (and perhaps gp2X F200)
>>
>> We would tailored version of the pack for specified activities with some
>> soft to 'glue' all.
>>
>> Is there a release date for the public version of the phone ?
>
> When it's ready ;-) It may also depend on your definition of public version.
>
> Last news (~1week ago?) was that another hardware revision is needed for
> GTA02. There is a known hardware problem with battery status monitoring, and
> the WiFi hardware has yet to be fully tested because the driver isn't
> complete. The new rev will then need a sample run for testing, and _if_ all
> goes well they can do a production run. That probably pushes the earliest
> delivery date to February sometime, but that's pure speculation. The software
> side seems to be improving all the time, so it might even be suitable for a
> non-developer by then.

Thanks Al,

You gave a perfect answer. To make this official:

 > It may also depend on your definition of public version.

The definitions we use are:

Developer ready hardware: Hardware is still under development and can be
used as a platform for developers to prototype and test, but not all
hardware components may work. This was GTA01.

Consumer ready hardware: The hardware is solid and stable, and all
hardware components work. The software may not be ready for consumers,
but the consumer ready software can be installed on this hardware when
the software is released. Users should be technically highly competent.
This is GTA02 that we are working on now.

Consumer ready software: Software includes all features and applications
one would expect to see on a smart phone. A non-technical person should
be able to use the basic applications without reading the manual.
Hardware is the same GTA02 as above.

 > That probably pushes the earliest delivery date to February sometime,
 > but that's pure speculation.

The official OpenMoko policy is to tell you(*) what we're doing and what
remains to be done, but never to predict when it will be finished.

Unofficially, the beginning of the year sounds about right, based on
where things stand right now.

(*) We try to tell you as much as possible, and we all wish it could be
more. We're still learning how to do this.

Michael Shiloh
OpenMoko