Community update: GSM firmware, 850MHz experiment, GTA02 progress

Michael Shiloh michael at
Mon Dec 10 23:41:05 CET 2007

Hello Tim,

OpenMoko does not predict when things will be ready; rather, we try to 
communicate as much as possible on what we are doing and what we hope to do.

By the way, you say "... most likely going to be an option ...". I'd 
like to point out that we are still evaluating the possibility of 
offering an 850MHz variant and have come to no such conclusion ourselves.


Tim Shannon wrote:
> I'm curious, since these 850 variants are most likely going to be an 
> option, when can we expect them?  Are they going to be available at the 
> same time as the public offering of the GTA02, or are they going to be 
> available way after that?
> On Dec 9, 2007 6:01 PM, Michael Shiloh <michael at 
> <mailto:michael at>> wrote:
>     Hi,
>     GSM Firmware update:
>     We've been informed that everything legal has been agreed upon by all
>     parties, and all that remains is to get everything signed. Apparently
>     the process of getting things signed takes a few weeks!
>     850MHz experiment:
>     As mentioned before we're looking into offering an 850MHz variant of the
>     triband GTA02.
>     Since the GSM section is essentially the same between GTA01 and GTA02,
>     we thought a good experiment would be to modify a couple GTA01 handsets
>     for 850MHz and to test them out here in the USA. I just received these
>     handsets on Friday and am now trying to figure out how to thoroughly
>     test them. Rather than me traveling around the country, it might make
>     sense to ship them to various users to test them with different
>     carriers.  Please write to me if you are in an 850MHz area and are
>     interested in participating.
>     Wifi driver:
>     We're making very good progress, but it's still not finished.
>     GTA02 hardware:
>     Still waiting for the Wifi driver to verify the Wifi hardware, but so
>     far we're feeling quite good about this part. There are a couple of
>     other things to verify, and as mentioned before we will most likely
>     make
>     another revision of the board, which will hopefully be the
>     production-ready revision.
>     Regards,
>     Michael
>     _______________________________________________
>     OpenMoko community mailing list
>     community at <mailto:community at>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> OpenMoko community mailing list
> community at

More information about the community mailing list