What to use while waiting of v2?

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Sun Dec 16 19:48:09 CET 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007 19:34:48 David Pottage wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> > I can't hold out any longer.
> >
> > I need a PDA that will work as reliably as possble, have a few options
> > for easy automatic sync (with Mac or Linux) or at least automatic
> > backup. I will be using it to implement GTD (Getting Things Done).
> >
> > Phone not essential.
> >
> > I don't need it to be open, non-evil, etc. I just need it's
> > shortcomings to be outweighed by the ease of backup and sync it has
> > over a Hipster PDA (Notebook and Pen).
>
> Nokia N800 or N810?
>
> Both are Linux PDA & web tablet like devices, running linux, (and I
> think GTK), so depending on your view of Nokia, they are fairly open and
> non-evil. They don't have a Cellular interface though, so the only way
> they can be used for phone calls is via Skype or another VoIP service
> when you are near a Wi-Fi hotspot.
>
> The N810, which was announced recently and may not be available yet, has
> a slide out keyboard and a GPS, otherwise it is similar to the N800.
>
> They are remarkably small, more like a large smartphone than a PDA.
>
> I work for Nokia, (but not in device development) BTW, so you may wish
> to take my views with some salt.

im not sure one can call the N8x0 series for PDA's. sure one can install GPE
apps to get calendar and that stuff, but it does not come pr default. also,
sync isnt exactly a simple issue...

ok, so another option is the recent open beta garnetvm from access, that
allows one to run palmos related software on the devices. but as said, its
beta, and as of right now i dont think it makes anywhere close to full use of
the screen...