Community update, Thursday, December 20 2007

Richard Reichenbacher richard5 at email.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 21 08:42:53 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org
[mailto:community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org] On Behalf Of Chris Hessing
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:13 PM
To: List for OpenMoko community discussion
Subject: Re: Community update, Thursday, December 20 2007

Richard Reichenbacher wrote:
> Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> GTA01 850MHz Experiment
>> -----------------------
>> As mentioned in the last update, we modified a couple of GTA01
>> handsets for 850MHz operation to test them in the USA. Due to the
>> enthusiastic response I received to my request for testing volunteers
>> I've asked our hardware group to modify a few more phones. I don't
>> know when, or even if, they will be able to do this. Meanwhile, I'll
>> be sending out the units I have to the testers, along with a simple
>> test plan.
>>

>> GSM Firmware Update
>> -------------------
>> We are still waiting for the signed agreement allowing you to update
>> the GSM firmware yourselves. Meanwhile, we have resolved the
>> difficulties I was having in performing the upgrade, and I am now
>> able to upgrade your handsets. Anyone interested in having me do this
>> should contact me at michael at openmoko.org.
>>

>> GTA01 Advanced Kit price reduction
>> ----------------------------------
>>
>> We have dropped the price of the GTA01 Advanced Kit from $450 to
>> $399. I'm pretty sure that's effective immediately and should be
>> reflected at our web store right now.
>>
>> The price of Base Kit remains the same.
>>
>> Michael

> Any idea about the wpa2 and peap authentication compatibility I had
> asked you about during the previous community update?
>
> Richard

I am currently porting XSupplicant over to the Moko.  I am about half
way done.  Once that is done, PEAP will be available at a minimum.
WEP/WPA/WPA2 are going to rely on the driver supporting it.

I plan to have the engine ported before the end of the month (if I have
the time).  Then I'll need to create a Moko-ified UI to configure it.

As long as there's the Equifax security certificate it'll support our
network.  It would also be a huge move for cell phone wifi as it would be
the only phone that works with our network.

Richard