Network questions

Joshua Layne joshua at
Sun Dec 23 07:19:07 CET 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:15:50 -0500, "Nick Guenther" <kousue at>
> On Dec 22, 2007 12:38 PM, Nicolas Linkert <linkert at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am geting confused with the network settings:
>> - my PC has IP
>> - my router has IP
>> - my printer has IP
>> Now I am, supposed to set usb0 to Does that work with my
>> current configuration? Or do I need to have
>> PC
>> router
>> printer
>> usb0
>> phone
> You're probably getting confused because you don't realize that your
> PC will have *two* IPs. The network card with .2 is different then the
> network interface that the neo presents. The PC will have two
> addresses: .2 (ethernet) and .200 (usb0) and the neo has .202 (it
> already has it, in the default configuration).
> You will also have to make sure the PC is bridging packets from usb0
> to the other interfaces. The details of how to do this depend on your
> OS.. it sounds like you have Ubuntu?

so standard disclaimer here: I am not an expert on this.

...but, it seems like setting up the proper subnet masks will be more
difficult if the 'normal' network (his existing) and the usb network
(ethernet gadget) for the neo are on the same network.  I
know it can be subdivided beyond that by using different address masks. but
is this really handled natively with the standard iptables rules that one
finds via google, etc?

After changing usb and device IPs from their default for a while, I ran
into a conflict with an internal address range at work (when I connect over
VPN) and so moved my entire network to 10.x.x.x, which (thankfully) never
seems to get used for this stuff.

Am I totally wrong on this?